Connect with us

Towns

Albox

Located in the northeastern part of the Almanzora Valley region and 120 km from the provincial capital, Almería

The municipality is formed by the nuclei of Albox, AljambraEl Cañico, Las Labores, Llano de las Ánimas, Llano del EspinoLlano de los OlleresLocaibaLa MolataLas PocicasLa Rambla, Saliente Alto and Saliente Bajo.

It is located in the middle basin of the Almanzora River. It limits to the north with Chirivel and Vélez-Rubio (region of Los Vélez), to the south with Cantoria, to the east with Taberno and Arboleas, and to the west with Oria and Partaloa.

Due to its privileged geographical position, it has been the passage of different cultures, of which at present you can find vestiges in the different existing archaeological sites.

Advertisement

Its history is widely linked to the medieval splendor of the Kingdom of Granada since the thirteenth century. In the throes of the Christian Reconquest, in the fifteenth century, Albox was taken from the Arabs by the troops of the Adelantado Mayor of the Kingdom of Murcia (Crown of Castile), Alonso Yáñez Fajardo, and later incorporated into his Marquesado de los Vélez.

Albox had at the time of the Nasrid kingdom (fourteenth and fifteenth centuries) one of the most important castles in the Almanzora valley, where there were other important fortresses such as CantoriaOriaTíjolaPurchena and Serón. At the conclusion of the Reconquest, at the end of the fifteenth century, the castle of Albox, like others of the Kingdom of Granada, was destroyed due to the fear that rebel groups (first Mudejar and then Moorish) could become strong in it. Due to its border situation between the Nasrid kingdom of Granada and the Christian kingdom of Murcia, several watchtowers were erected in this territory, some of which are still preserved, constituting a valuable historical heritage.

In 1518, a strong earthquake, with its epicenter in Vera, devastated Albox, destroying much of the houses of the town.

The town of Albojense took an active part in the continuous and stubborn Moorish uprisings, which occurred in the sixteenth century throughout the Kingdom of Granada; it would be King Philip II who, after defeating the Moors, would decree his expulsion from the region and the repopulation of the town with Christians brought mainly from the kingdom of Murcia, the kingdom of Valencia and La Mancha, constituting Albox then in municipal council or city council in the year 1563, under the command of the one who was its first mayor, Anton of Andrano.

Advertisement

Although the Barrio Alto de San Antonio – with an irregular layout of steep streets converging all of them in a small central square – was the original nucleus of the town of Albox, it is nevertheless the neighborhood of the Loma de San Francisco – named after the old establishment of the Franciscan Tertiary Order – the one that reaches more development and expansion in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. This is due to the link of Albox with tragic floods, floods and earthquakes that have hit this land.

A transcendent event for Albox occurred in 1716, when two Albojenses priests founded a hermitage (later transformed into a large sanctuary) on Mount Roel, in the Sierra de las Estancias, and began the veneration of the image of Our Lady of the Outgoing. Since that date, the history of Albojense cannot be understood without the deep imprint of this Marian advocation.

Provisional bridge of the Lorca Baza line as it passes through Albox (1890-1891). Photograph by engineer Gustavo Gillman.

During the nineteenth century, the village played a great role in the fight against the French invaders, of which there are reports of two bloody skirmishes in the years 1810 and 1811. That was the time of greatest economic prosperity in Albox, thanks to its looms, the pottery industry of artisanal character and the activity of transport and commerce of the numerous muleteers that were in the town. It is also noteworthy the economic activity that has been since Roman times around the extraction and manufacture of yellow travertine, a natural stone of extraordinary beauty, very representative of Albox, which is extracted in the quarries of Los Marcelinos and Los Rincones. The commercial tradition of Albox turned the town into an economic center between Baza (Granada) and Lorca (Murcia).

Advertisement

Through writings and files from the local archives and that of the Royal Chancery of Granada, you can know the panic of the people when they had to leave their houses half-demolished by an earthquake to sleep in the open on the banks of the rambla. Another historical episode was the yellow fever epidemic, whose initial focus broke out in Cartagena and spread relentlessly, taking lives, through all the towns of the Spanish Levante (Granada and Almeria inclusive). A terrible flood shattered Albox on September 11, 1891. Another even greater flood devastated the town on June 26, 1900, causing 6 deaths and the destruction of the upper part of the stone wall that the Regia Police Station had built after the flood of 1891. The last major flood took place on October 19, 1973.

The public lighting based on electricity arrived in the town of Albox on January 8, 1914, previously existing lighting based on lanterns.​

The public water supply to the town of Albox dates from 1963, although it was not until June 2014 so that the municipality had quality drinking water.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Towns

Agua Amarga

Continue Reading

Towns

Arboleas

Continue Reading

Towns

Huercal Overa

restaurants and bars
hotels
services
estate agents
sports facilities
events

Town in Almeria Province

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending